There are a number of ways to open a run box, but one of the easiest, and one that works on all modern versions of Windows is this:
In details: hold down the Windows key, press and release the “R” key, let go of the Windows key.
The “Run box” will appear:
Type a Windows command into the run box – my screenshot shows the command “winver” – and then click “OK”. Windows will execute your command.
- cmd /c”ipconfig /all > desktop/ipconfig-pd.txt”
Explanations of the above commands:
- Shows which version of Windows you are running.
- Runs the text editor
- Open a command windows (also called a “DOS box”) – type exit to close it.
- Creates a text file on your desktop called ipconfig-pd which contains your IP configuration – sometimes I’ll ask you to e-mail this to me if you can’t get on the Internet.
- Run Powershell – type exit to close it.
Be careful with the command box and (especially) with Powershell!